Maintaining 43 in the Single Lane

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Rush Hour Delays

Far be it from me to complain; I am exactly the same size I was 26 years ago when I graduated from high school. Add to it the fact that this size is in the "single digit zone" (okay, so I'm a size zero- hate me now or forever hold your peace!). I have successfully run a business, can engage in an intelligent conversation without prompting, and have never scared small children upon entering a room.

Yet these attributes haven't increased my chances of walking down the aisle. "Those that can, do; those that can't, plan" was my mantra WAY before J-Lo's portrayal of a wedding planner on the big screen. So in this age of over-analyzation, one might question why I have never married. It's quite simple; I have yet to meet the man who is to be my husband. Now there have been two that came pretty close. But unlike the diamonds they bought, their presence was not meant to be forever.

And here I am, in the glare of the media spotlight, thanks to The New York Times' infamous 51% statistic on single women causing gridlock (which has me sharing the road with 15 year olds). Single gals know all too well the rubbernecker delays caused by conversations about our status. From the, "Don't worry, he's out there" from well-meaning family and friends, to the, "You know, as you get older, you have a greater chance of being struck by lightening?" from mean-spirited folks. Luckily for me, lightening hasn't swept me off my feet, either.

If your life, like mine, has not led down the formidable storybook road of marriage, a three-bedroom house and a minivan decoupaged with honor roll student decals, be fulfilled in knowing that it wasn't supposed to.

Although I am single, I am also complete. At the perfect time, my soul mate will be revealed to me. In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the scenic route life has me navigating through. And while adjusting my rear-view mirror, reflecting on my prosperous journey should I lock eyes with my future husband, it will be a beautiful thing...

But I cant' pull over now to wait and wonder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home